I’m in the Mood for Dancing…

22 Jun

It was a night out with work colleagues, one of those which started with just one drink after work in the pub next door to the office. I had just started out on my management career, having been promoted within the company. In true first line manager tradition, I made sure that I bought the first round of drinks being very conscious of creating a “good” impression with my colleagues, who were,like me, trying to adjust to my new position. I was also conscious that my predecessor in the job, whose position I was “acting up to”, had on a number of occasions got very drunk when out with workers, and on one occasion had also tried to stick her tongue down my throat. I had found this alarming, as I was having a conversation with her about client attrition rates from the service at the time.

I have to say that this job was something of a baptism of fire. Having worked in the same place with the same people for just over a year, I suddenly found myself being ostracised, and universally vilified when it came to setting rotas, or having the temerity to suggest that people did not slope off early on a Friday. I had therefore seized the opportunity to try to ameliorate my new team, and my former colleagues, and show them that I was actually still human.

The first couple of pints slipped down nicely, and I began to feel relaxed amongst other people. Once we had established the boundaries of what I was and was not going to discuss, agree to or divulge to them on a Friday night in a pub, we all got along well. Had I left the pub at that point and gone home, it is not an overstatement to say that my life would have been completely different now, and certainly in the short term then.

Feeling more mellowed than I had done for some time, I joined in the rounds for pints three and four. As I was in my mid twenties at the time, with a relationship, responsibilities and a mortgage, I didn’t go out much to pubs any more, and I hadn’t set foot in a nightclub once in the preceding five years. Watching my colleagues letting their hair down made me envious, and I felt myself settling into the group, and after a couple of tetchy phone calls to home, I ceremoniously turned off my mobile, to universal cheers from the rest of the group, prompting me to venture once more to the bar to get the drinks in.

People started to leave, and a core of about ten people remained. We moved on to a more swanky bar at this point, populated by revellers who were out for the evening, as opposed to just having a drink after work. Six or seven pints of real ale down by this point, I moved onto bottled lager. We stayed for some time in this bar, and it came to decision time as to what to do next.  A few of the younger colleagues were gearing up to go out clubbing, while others were getting ready to call it a night, as it was getting on for about 10pm by this point. I weighed up the decision for my own part : I could either stay out, as I was enjoying myself, and go out to the club with the others, or go home back to reality, where at the time, it is fair to say things were rather rocky. The former won over the latter in an instant. Finishing our drinks, and calculating that I must now have been on number nine or ten, we left the bar, to visit banks, drop bags off in cars, and sort out taxis to the club. Coming out into the night air, I was shocked. Being unaccustomed to local  nightlife, I discovered that West Street, normally a fairly quiet thoroughfare on my journey into and out of work daily on the tram was now a bustling hive of activity, the pavements crammed with people spilling out of bars, and the dull thud of music coming from each individual establishment. I also realised that I was a lot drunker than I was used to being, and certainly when out with acquaintances rather than close friends.

We got to the club, I put my coat in the cloakroom, and I looked around at the hundred or so people dancing to the Scissor Sisters, and felt myself being physically shaken by both the volume of the music, and the vibration of the floor bouncing under the weight of so many bodies writhing to “I don’t feel like dancing”. Having visited the bar, I found myself leaning against the wall at the side of the large dance floor with a bottle of lager, benignly smiling along to my colleagues who were all dancing. I felt like a fish out of water, and I also began to notice something which I had not experienced for a very long time. As people walked past me or looked over in my direction, I got the distinction impression that I was being “checked out”, and I got the odd smile, or so I thought. I wondered for a moment if this was a gay night, as it seemed to be young guys looking my way, and then I  became very confused as it seemed to be women as well. I joined my colleagues to dance for a few minutes, if for no other reason than to show willing. Having made enough of a fool of myself, I went back to the bar, and this time was joined by one of the women from work. She asked me if I was okay, as I seemed a bit quiet since we had got to the club. I told her that I had a few problems at home, and I was stressed with some of the stuff at work, and she was sympathetic. We stayed at the bar for a while, and had a few sambuca shots. I told her that I wasn’t used to the music being so loud, and that I must be getting old, at which point she informed me that in this vast cavernous establishment there was an Indie and soul room as well. This was (quite literally) music to my ears, and I wandered off to investigate the other room. As I got through the door, Stevie Wonder “Superstitious” was playing, a sure sign that this was more my scene. None of my colleagues were in this room, but I wasn’t bothered, as I felt far more relaxed in here than in the main area with the thumping beat which was hurting my ears.

I woke up the next morning, in my own bed, having absolutely no recollection of the previous night from the point of walking into the Indie room, and I did not have a clue how I had got home. I was clearly in the dog house on the domestic front, as the drink after work had turned into a bender, with me not returning until the small hours of the morning. I racked my brains trying to remember what had happened the previous evening. One by one the recollections came back to me: I was fairly clear up to the point of entering the Indie room, and then I recalled dancing manically to James “Sit Down” feeling that the spotlights on the dancefloor were changing shape and actually following me around as entities in their own right.

The memories which followed came thick and fast over the following 24 hours, and became overwhelming.

It was with a mix of shame,embarrassment and horror that I began to recall snorting lines of cocaine, having sex with at least two women in toilet cubicles, as well as engaging in a long intense kissing session with a man as well. Hazy memories of arguments with both colleagues and random strangers came back to me, and my overall sense was that in the space of a few hours, I had most likely done enough damage to lose both my job and most likely my relationship as well. I spent the day in a state of catatonia, masked by the mother of all hangovers, as I tried to work out what the hell to say or do. By Sunday night, I was a complete nervous wreck, and confessed to my other half what had happened on the night. To say that the atmosphere between us became frosty would be a monumental understatement.

I went to work on the Monday morning, nervous and apprehensive as to what kind of reaction I would receive, and absolutely dreading the accounts and recollections of my colleagues as to my antics on the night out. Bizarrely, nothing was said at all, and everyone was perfectly friendly. I assumed that this was a conspiracy of silence, and that an almighty revelation was going to be disclosed before the day was out. A worker rang in mid morning, to say that they would be late in, as they had been burgled over the weekend. As I put the phone down from the call, I suddenly remembered that it had in fact been me that had broken into the person’s flat on the previous Friday. Feeling unable to breathe, I ran outside to get some air. I saw my reflection in the office window, and while I knew it was me, I was becoming increasingly frightened and alarmed at what I had done. When the local news that night carried the story of the student who had been stabbed in the city centre over the weekend, my heart felt like it had stopped. I could see him in front of me, as I had been arguing with him, just before taking the knife out of my pocket and stabbing him. As he lay bleeding on the pavement, I had blocked out the sound of his girlfriend screaming for help, and calling for someone to chase after me for what I had done.

I could not work out over the next couple of days why I had not been found out. I could hear voices in my head telling me that I had to keep going on as normal, and keep up a pretence of being okay. These voices were in a constant argument with my own conscience, and on more than one occasion, I sat and cried, truly shocked at the person I had become, and the terrible things I had done. I spent a lot of time with the man who had moved in with us, and he advised me what was happening, and what to do next. I resented him being here, but knew I had to follow his instructions. He reminded me constantly that I had helped him commit the murders the week before, and had buried the bodies by the reservoir with him. If I told ANYONE what had happened, then my family would be murdered, followed by me also. All I had to do was keep quiet until the end of the week, when his boss was released from prison, after which I would be running away with them to another city, and would be given a new identity. Although I would never be able to see anyone in my family again, I would escape life imprisonment for committing multiple murders.

By this time, some ten days after the night out, I was no longer going to work, and my every thought was on the plans for the end of the following week. Every time I was on my own in the house, I tried to find the bugs which had been placed around, before the man came back in to check on me. I worked out that by writing notes down on a pad I concealed in my trouser pocket, I was able to communicate with my other half without being monitored, as long as I did not expressly disclose what had I done, and who I was involved with. Naturally this led to a great deal of concern, as I sat in the front room on an evening forbidding any conversation, and insisting that all correspondence was conducted on my notepad.

Eventually, by the Wednesday, I cracked. While the man was out of the house, I told my other half what I had done, as well as saying that we had to flee straight away, and tell the Police. I knew that this would mean I would face life imprisonment, but I knew that I deserved it, and at least there would then be some protection for my family from the people I had inadvertently become involved with.

We had a screaming blazing row, as I tried to impress the urgency of getting out immediately, but was met with stubborn disbelief, and was remonstrated with that I needed urgent help. As far as I was concerned, I knew how mad everything sounded, but I also knew that there was clear and impending danger to everyone around me if we did not act immediately. Realising that I had disclosed all of this information with the house still bugged, I started sweeping books off the shelves, unplugging the TV and DVD players, and finally smashing through a large quantity of crockery, convinced that somewhere within these household items, devices had been buried.

Once it was apparent that I was not being believed, I remembered the other part of the conditions which had been made by the man. He had hypnotised everyone around me to disbelieve anything I said about murdering people, as a safeguard against me blurting anything out and ruining the plans. I also remembered, with a sickness in the pit of my stomach that if I did alert anyone to the murders, people would immediately round up all of my family, deliver them to my house, and murder them in front of me, and then kill me also, setting me up as a mass murderer, who had also killed all of his own family, before himself, thus covering their tracks. I also remembered that I had been given one get out from this nightmare scenario. Should I accidentally confess to anyone what I had done, then I would be given one hour’s grace to get to the nearest police station to confess to the murders, before a bearded man in a blue hat would walk in to the station and murder me in the reception. As the Police were all hypnotised, they would assume that I had committed suicide, but crucially, while I had provided the alibi for the man and his motley crew, my family would NOT then be murdered.

And so, I left the house and ran to the nearest Police station, about a mile away from the house, knowing that I was going to my certain death. As I tried to confess to the murders to the Police, I realised that I could not remember the names of anyone I had killed, but I knew where I had buried them. I told them that they needed to get a squad car round to my house to protect my family immediately. When they sat me down in the interview room, they kept asking me questions, to the point that I had to shout at them that they had all been hypnotised, and needed to listen to me.

I was sat back in the reception, even though I told the officers they needed to lock me up for multiple murders. As they sat me down, I heard a voice coming over the radio alerting one of them to the fact that a squad car with two officers had arrived at my address and that everyone was safe inside, contrary to my protestations. The officers went back behind the front desk and disappeared into a back office. The front door to the Police station opened, and as the bearded man in the blue hat walked in, I knew what was coming next.

I do not remember anything until it was light outside, which must have been the middle of the following day. I was on a psychiatric ward, refusing to eat or drink anything, due to a fear of everything being poisoned. I was by this time petrified, and was screaming at nurses, patients and anyone who would listen that I was going to be murdered at any second, and that no-one understood as they had all been hypnotised also. I was told that I was suffering from paranoia, and would be given some tablets. When I tried to open the door to get out, it was made clear to me that I could not leave, and would be there for quite some time. The next few days after this are a complete blur, but I can fill in from what I was told afterwards. I was sedated with the classic “5 and 2” of Haloperidol and Lorezepam three times initially to try to calm me down. Apparently for the first 24 hours on the ward, I shuffled up and down the corridors, flinching away from anyone who came near, and was convinced of imminent danger. I was, although unaware at the time, under constant supervision, until the point when I finally fell asleep for the first time, for a period of 18 hours solid.  I am told that, on being brought to the ward by the Police, initial suspicions were either that I had developed some form of schizophrenia, or more likely that I had suffered a stroke, as one side of my body appeared to be significantly weaker than the other, and tests on my cognitive functioning had raised concerns.

It must have been about five days into my stay on the ward that I finally began to form meaningful memories, and awareness of my surroundings. I cannot fully put into words the crushing sense of dread and fear, that at the age of only 26, I was destined to spend the rest of my life in prison. I thought about killing myself several times, but to be honest, was so confused, and also in agony with the paralysing effect of the Haloperidol, that I did not really know what I was thinking.

Eventually, I was called in to see the psychiatrist, and nurses, and my other half was also there. Following a thorough Police investigation, I was informed that no murders had taken place, and extensive CCTV footage of my night out, when I had alleged the incidents took place, indicated quite clearly my movements, and the fact that I had gone home directly from the city centre in a taxi. Checks of the area where I had admitted to burying the bodies also demonstrated that nothing of the sort had happened. Footage from inside the nightclub itself had also been checked, which, when spliced together made it very unlikely that I had been having sex with random people in toilet cubicles, or generally getting up to no good and taking drugs.  What the cameras did show however, was that, not long after entering what was presumed to be the Indie room, I was seen drinking from a bottle, which someone else had got me, as I had been on the dance floor the whole time. At the best of times, I can exhibit bizarre and frankly embarrassingly poor movement to music, but after partaking of the drink, the description of my dancing was given as “manic and wild”. The suspicion therefore, was that what I was drinking had been spiked, either intended for me, or drinks had got mixed up from the bar back to the dance floor. Based on all of my subsequent behaviour, as well as local intelligence, a working hypothesis was devised that I had most likely had a night out on Crystal Meth, a derivative of amphetamine which can have extreme effects on both emotion and memory. Unfortunately, too much time had elapsed from the event to the results of numerous blood tests taken once I arrived on the ward, to be able to verify this, and in that respect, there could be no final evidence of either cause, or indeed malicious intent on the part of any person in adulterating the drink. For the record, after my student cannabis use, I had never touched a drug again, so this revelation came as quite a shock to me.

Slowly over the next few days, I had to adjust to the fact that the reality I had lived for the preceding fortnight was actually a falsification made in my own mind, and that far from being hypnotised, the people around me were perfectly sane and measured, and were encouraging me back to the same frame of mind also. No man had moved into my house, nothing was bugged, and I had not burgled a colleague or stabbed a student.

After a week, I saw the psychiatrist again, who discussed the hypothesis once again, but also asked me a series of questions about life stresses, including childhood abuse or neglect, any experience of miscarriage or loss of a baby, difficult work situations, and problems with self esteem. As I ticked these off one by one in my own mind, the overall picture of a diagnosis became more complex, and I began to feel that I may have a mental health condition caused by being allergic to myself.

I was discharged shortly after this, a minor miracle, as it had been assumed that I may be sectioned for several months at my initial assessment, not discharged only eight days later.

Whatever had happened to me, in life up to this point, or in a nightclub on a Friday night, the effect on me was profound. Not only had I well and truly “lost the plot”, but it felt as if, like a kaleidoscope, all of my memories, thoughts and feelings had been shaken up, with no clear indication as to the pattern they would eventually settle back into. I returned to work a couple of months later, having recovered, and been cleared to return to front line duties.

If it were not for the quick thinking of the Police and their diligent and compassionate approach to trying to work out what I was saying, and subsequent investigating, I may not be alive now, and I certainly would not have had the capacity to recover as fully as I have ultimately. I feel guilty still at the amount of time and resources which must have been invested on my behalf at the time (and indeed after this occasion). I can only hope that they kept the footage of my bizarre dancing to play at Christmas dos forever more for Force entertainment!

In hindsight, it actually took a further six years to stop being afraid of my mental health, and to tackle it head on. If I had hidden it up to the point of my psychotic eposide, I practically buried it afterwards, along with my feelings, for fear of ever again being in a position of such chaos. Unfortunately, that was the worst thing I could have ever done!

The moral of this story? Never store up stress. Talk about anything which plays upon your mind. And if out in a nightclub, never take your eye off your drink.


6 Responses to “I’m in the Mood for Dancing…”

  1. Kenneth June 22, 2012 at 6:53 am #

    Wow! Sorry, that hardly seems an appropriate response to the sharing of such experiences, but it’s such an engaging piece that that was my response! Thanks for writing/sharing it.

    • madmannomore June 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

      Thank you! Wow was my own reaction after the event also, trying to figure out exactly what had just happened to me.
      It was very hard to write, mainly because it does sound so far fetched, but then I suppose this is one of the main issues in psychosis. The outsider needs to acknowledge that, however bizarre the circumstances described seem, it has to be acknowledged that this is the lived experience and current belief system of the sufferer.

  2. Linden July 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

    Yes, Wow!! What a brilliantly written account of a psychotic event. It feels like the most extraordinary terrifying, parrallel universe type experience. Thank you for sharing this. It is an education in itself. You sound like a very strong person and whilst this must have been horrific to undergo, it sounds as though you know yourself better and are compassionate and kind!

  3. Elizabeth Stirling (@BettyGudrun) July 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

    On the contrary, I think it starts off completely believable which is what makes it so compelling. We have all had those experiences of drinking too much and having the ‘fear’ the following day. Many of us have even filled in the gaps. You write it in such a way as it’s not immediately clear at what point the lines of sanity and insanity become blurred. What an absolutely terrifying and shocking experience. I’m so glad you’ve been able to recover sufficiently to tell it. You definitely have a talent for writing, if not for dancing! Thank you for sharing it.

  4. Psychoterapia Poznań July 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

    Hi all! I do like reading your posts. I like your blog too. I had very similar problem previous month (believe it or not, but with my lovely cat).

  5. Eduarda July 19, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

    that was a lovely article. i liked reading it. thanks for sharing.http://www.casaemail.com.br

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: